Pretty Warnings is the captivating fourth studio album from Lucy Ward. Rich with tradition and exquisitely penned original songs, this album weaves it’s way effortlessly through matters of love, darkness, longing and joy. It confirms what we already knew – that Ward’s unique ability to inhabit the very heart of a song is bewitching, beguiling and beautiful.
Ward is a story teller at heart, concerned with expressing truth and the human condition. She can paint a picture with her words and this album is an expressive collection of true stories and evocative imagery.
As well as innovative arrangements of traditional songs such as the ballad Bill Norrie, Ward has delved into the tradition to come up with beautiful retellings of traditional forms. The Cruel Mother is re-spun in her song Mari Fach (meaning Sweet Mari), the true story of a young welsh woman pregnant, unmarried and afraid. The archetypal rover becomes Ward’s yearning Silver Morning, a taste of her inimitable nu-folk originality. She has also addressed the recurring theme of the night visitor with the insistent Cold Caller.
Pretty Warnings has a sublime quality; an enchanting warmth that runs through it. It feels as though Ward’s song writing has evolved with a richness born from her experience and time away from the studio; songs like Sunshine Child and The Sweetest Flowers being prime examples of her exquisite skill in their quiet and involving beauty.
Produced by Stu Hanna & Stephen MacLachlan
Pre order at https://www.lucywardsings.com/store
Pretty Warnings Tour
- June 1st – Acoustic Festival Of Great Britain, Uttoxeter
- June 3rd – Walthamstow Folk Club, London
- June 9th – Quay Arts Centre, Isle Of Wight
- June 10th – Barking Folk Festival, London
- June 14th – The Globe, Glossop
- June 15th – The Guildhall, Leicester (full band)
- June 24th – The Cube, Malvern
- June 26th – The Kitchen Garden Café, Birmingham
- June 28th – Black Swan Folk Club, York
- June 29th – Roots@94, Hull
- June 30th – Ellel Village Hall, Lancaster
- October 5th – Derby Folk Festival, Derby
- October 6th – Dunton Folk, Biggleswade
- October 19th – Downend Folk Club, Bristol
For full details visit http://www.lucywardsings.com